Actions against the police claims should be started as soon as possible after the event. It is vitally important that evidence of your wrongful arrest, false imprisonment or other claim is preserved. Our solicitors also need to take statements before memories start to fade.
Proceedings must be issued at court within the following time periods, or you will lose the right to pursue your actions against the police claim:
Maximum time periods for pursuing your actions against the police claim
– Police assault claim- within 3 years of event
– Wrongful arrest- within 6 years of event
– False imprisonment – within 6 years of event
– Death in custody- within 6 years of event
– Malicious prosecution- within 6 years of event
– Misfeasance in public office- within 6 years of event
– Trespass to property or goods- within 6 years of event
– Police negligence- within 6 years of event
– Breach of Human Rights Act- within 1 year of event
– Judicial review- varies, but normally within 3 months
– Racial discrimination- within 6 months of event
– Unlawful stop and search- within 6 years of event
If you think that you may have an actions against the police claim, please complete the contact form on the Donoghue Solicitors website or call us on 08000 124 425.